Hollywood actor Nicolas Cage has admitted he once took magic mushrooms when his cat ate some of the drug.


The 46-year-old, who is starring in the new Disney flick The Sorcerer's Apprentice, admitted that he took the drug when he found out his cat Lewis had got into the fridge and eaten some of them.


He said to US TV host David Letterman: "I had a bag of mushrooms in my refrigerator. My cat used to sneak into the refrigerator and eat them.


"The cat ate them voraciously, so I thought what the heck, I'd better do it with him. I remember lying on my bed for hours and Lewis was on the desk across my bed and we just stared at each other for hours - not moving, just staring at each other, and I had no doubt that he was my brother."


However, he admitted that he no longer takes the hallucinogenic drug.


He said: "But having said that, I don't do that any more. And you know what, later in life when I was completely not doing any of that, I know he said hi to me."